|The megalithic site, close to the sea at Birzebbuga, was excavated by Dr Margaret Murray in 1922-7. The depth of the deposits was very shallow and the Temple Period remains were covered by material from the Bronze Age village which lay over the same area. The temple was built during the last phase of the temple period, around 2500 BCE and was occupied by the Bronze Age people. Most probably its rooms became part of the Bronze Age village. The megaliths forming the walls of the temple are now only about 50 cm (1.6 feet) high and a four apse plan can be seen at the centre. Another small megalithic structure lies East-South of the main building.